The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : California Family Believes 'Dynamic Pet's Real Ham Bone', Purchased from Walmart, Killed Their Dog The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : California Family Believes 'Dynamic Pet's Real Ham Bone', Purchased from Walmart, Killed Their Dog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

California Family Believes 'Dynamic Pet's Real Ham Bone', Purchased from Walmart, Killed Their Dog


A family from Vista, California, believes that their dog died after eating a Dynamic Pet's Real Ham Bone' that they purchased at Walmart.

It seems that this family is not the only ones full of anger and anguish over Dynamic Pet's Real Ham Bone.

Lily Reed, who is an eighth grader, could not help but break down when talking about the unexpected loss of her furry friend, Fred.

Fred was the family's nine-year-old basset hound, and they had to put him down on Monday.

Lily held onto his toys to feel a little closer.

"I don't know," Lily said through tears. "I just want to remember him."

Fred's owner, Victor Paulson, already misses their guy time.

"He would lay on me and he would love to just lay there in my recliner and just fall asleep," Paulson said.

Paulson still has the bone he believes killed his dog. They bought the Real Ham Bone by Dynamic Pet Products from Walmart. Paulson said they were all in the room when Fred enjoyed it for an hour.

However, the next day was a horrific one.

"There was vomit and diarrhea, and he was lying in a puddle of his own blood," Paulson explained.

Fred was in such bad shape when they took him to California Veterinary Specialists in Carlsbad that the family said their good byes, and put him down.

The veterinarians told 10News they did not have a definitive answer about what made Fred ill because the family could not afford to run the tests.

The family seems certain the bone broke apart and ripped apart Fred's insides.

"It couldn't have been anything else," Lily said. "It just couldn't have."

The warning on the Real Ham Bone is more detailed than most. It says:
"Supervise your pet while enjoying any natural bone product. Bone is to be chewed over several sittings, not eaten. Always provide a fresh supply of water to pet. Not recommended for dogs with digestive problems or aggressive chewers. Remove bone immediately if splintering occurs or small fragments break off. Recommended size is slightly larger than your pets mouth. Pet owner assumes liability associated with the use of this or any natural bone product."

10News found dozens, if not hundreds, of comments online with a similar story. Owners gave their dog a ham bone, often the same brand, and the dog started vomiting. Some dogs had surgery, while others died, according to some of the online comments.

10News reached out to Dynamic Pet Products, and they issued this statement:
ST. LOUIS, March 4, 2015 – Dave Frick, President, Dynamic Pet Products, released the following statement today in response to the complaint filed by a consumer regarding Real Ham Bone for Dogs.

"At Dynamic Pet Products, our goal is to offer the best pet products to owners and their dogs. We are saddened to learn of the illness of any of our customers' pets.

Dynamic Pet Products has been producing 100% Human food grade bones approved by the FDA since 2001, including the Real Ham Bone for Dogs. The quality of our products and the safety of the pets that enjoy our products are our top priorities. That is why every package contains a label that provides detailed instructions to owners on how they can help their pets best enjoy our products. We strongly encourage owners to supervise their pets with any treats or snacks. We will continue to provide quality, safe products to our customers."

On a Consumer Affairs web page, the product ranked one of five stars.

The Food and Drug Administration says bones are unsafe across the board. They say problems range from broken teeth to blocking the windpipe, and bone chards can poke holes in the stomach or intestines.

Giving your dog a bone can result in a vet visit, surgery or death. Read more here: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm208365.htm

Walmart told 10News: "We did reach out to the manufacturer and they are aware of this situation and had been in touch with the customer."







FOLLOW US!
/

No comments:

Post a Comment