The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : July 2013 The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : July 2013

Friday, July 26, 2013

Washington Humane Society's CEO Lisa LaFontaine Honored with a 2013 Brava! Award from SmartCEO

Washington, DC – The Washington Humane Society (WHS) is proud to announce that Lisa LaFontaine, WHS President and CEO, has been honored with a 2013 Brava! Award, which celebrates the distinguished achievements of Greater Washington’s women leaders.

Description: Lisa LaFontaine  President & CEO with Lila
In the July 2013 edition of SmartCEO, LaFontaine is commended for her dedication to DC animals which has helped the organization bring their adoption rates to an all-time high. Lisa is recognized for being a vocal advocate for pit bull type dogs, helping the organization achieve a 50% increase in revenue and a 300% increase in fundraising events, and going above and beyond as a foster parent for more than 200 homeless animals during her six years with WHS.

“Lisa LaFontaine is a strong leader and a visionary who has brought WHS to a level never seen before,” said Scott Giacoppo, WHS VP of External Affairs. “Under her leadership, the animals in the District of Columbia are in the best care possible within our power. Thanks to Lisa, WHS has saved the lives of more animals than ever before in our 140 year history.”

As the only Congressionally-chartered animal welfare agency in the country, providing care to nearly 30,000 animals each year, WHS is proud to have a strong leader with the limitless courage and commitment to helping DC animals that Lisa LaFontaine has shown.

Please Share!


Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Woman Fined for Taking a Pony into McDonald's Where it Defecated on the Floor

A mother who was fined after her daughter took her pony into McDonald's claims that the pet has previously been served plenty of times - and has a fondness for a McFlurry.

Christine McGrail and daughter Olivia were told to tie up their steeds after being forbidden from using the drive-through service at the fast-food restaurant in Whitefield.

Managers at the franchise told Christine, 33, who was riding stallion Dancer, and her nine-year-old girl, on pony Minnie, they weren't allowed to queue with waiting cars.

                 Christine McGrail and daughter Olivia took the pony into the McDonalds so they could pick up a snack.

Christine McGrail and daughter Olivia were told to tie up their steeds after trying to use the drive-through service at the fast-food restaurant in Whitefield.

Ride-thru: The woman and her daughter attempted to use the drive-thru at McDonald's before taking a horse inside.

The mother says she took managers "iterally" when they suggested the pair dismount and enter the store.

So she let Olivia lead her six-year-old pony into the restaurant - to the amazement of customers.

But once inside, Minnie defecated on the floor and police were called.

The mother-of-one admits she acted 'rashly' after the pony opened its bowels in front of diners but claimed the treatment of horse riders was inconsistent.

She said: "Minnie likes McFlurrys. We've genuinely been served several times before and I didn't think using he drive-through would be a problem."

She said that Minnie, who defecated on the floor of the store, had a taste for the ice cream treats.

An officer issued Christine with a £90 fine for causing "alarm and distress" to customers and managers have also banned her.

A statement posted by Greater Manchester Police’s Whitefield branch on its Facebook page said they received a call from McDonalds.

It added: 'The staff refused to serve the women due to company policy.

The women then took the horse into the restaurant who ended up doing his business on the floor.

Not so happy meal: Staff and customers at the branch of McDonalds were distressed after the horse defecated inside the restaurant.

                                                              Ice cream culprit: Minnie loves the ice cream treats

Fine: She was issued with a fixed penalty notice after the horse defecated on the floor of the restaurant in Whitefield, Greater Manchester

The sight and smell of this caused obvious distress and upset to customers trying to eat, as well as staff members.

Officers arrived at the location and woman was issued a Fixed Penalty notice.

A spokesman for McDonald’s said: "I can confirm that on 20th July a woman allowed her pony to enter our restaurant in Whitefield after being refused service in the drive-thru lane."

The incident caused distress to customers and disruption for the restaurant and the police issued the woman with a Fixed Penalty notice.

The health safety of our customers and staff is our top priority and for this reason we are unable to serve pedestrians, bicycle riders or customers on horseback through the drive-thru.

The policy was introduced over fears that safety of staff and customers could be put at risk if a horse is spooked by a car.

The company said they would not be releasing CCTV footage of the incident.


The Pet Tree House - New E-Book Oodles & Noodles - Available now on

Please check-out my new e-book "Oodles & Noodles" on Amazon:

Oodles & Noodles is a heartwarming story about a cat, named Oodles and a dog, named Noodles, who were both lost, but quickly became friends.  Follow them as they overcome obstacles living in the street as homeless animals and finally return home to their families. Oodles & Noodles will make you laugh and cry happy tears!

This story is great for all ages from children to adults. If you love will love Oodles & Noodles!

Click on the link to be taken to


Friday, July 12, 2013

Squirrel Eating Car - Terrorizing a South Florida Family

A Florida family living in fear that they were being targeted by vandals discovered that the culprit has quite an appetite for destruction. The culprit? A squirrel.

A crazy car-eating squirrel with an appetite for destruction has been terrorizing a south Florida family.

The hungry critter, dubbed Munchy, has been biting fist-sized chunks of metal out of Nora Ziegler's SUV.

It's already ripped two 6-inch panels out of her Toyota Sequoia and seems intent on eating more.

But, bizarrely, he's left the four other cars that line the Martin County family's driveway untouched.

Ziegler told WPTV that she initially thought her vehicle was being targeted by vandals.
Cops were stumped and told her to remain vigilant, speculating that "someone was coming after her."

But she soon busted the culprit red-handed as she put out the trash one night.
Ziegler said she couldn't believe her eyes as she watched the squirrel, which was hanging by its teeth and gnawing away at the metal.

Relieved that she wasn't being targeted by hoodlums, she's now deciding what to do about the rampaging rodent.

"I'm not happy to see my car like this, but at least I didn't have any enemies, at least not people," Ziegler told WPTV.

Wildlife expert Hugh Curran, of Absolute Critter Removal, was however less shocked about the squirrel's choice of food.

"If they're looking to make a nest, chewing for them to find a cavity, to make a nest, that's not unusual at all," said Curran.



Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Washington DC - Washington Humane Society - Poisoned Pill Pockets Unfounded

Washington, DC –On Thursday, June 27, 2013 the Washington Humane Society (WHS) was alerted to the claim that someone was alleged to be leaving poisoned dog treats in the Logan Circle area of Washington, DC.

“After a thorough investigation by our Humane Law Enforcement division, we cannot substantiate the claim that there is anyone out there intentionally attempting to harm pets,” Scott Giacoppo, WHS VP of External Affairs reports, adding, “Our investigation has revealed that one dog has been reported sick from the consumption of an unknown toxin. After a thorough investigation, which included outreach to every veterinary clinic in the District, we have received no evidence to indicate that this was intentional, happened in a public space or that there may be a threat to animal safety.”

Humane Law Enforcement Officers have been in contact with the owner of the dog who has gotten sick. Based on his limited cooperation, and the lack of direct evidence to support the claim, WHS has decided to close the investigation. Humane Law Enforcement will re-open the case if and when additional evidence is discovered.

WHS maintains that pet owners should always be cautious of potentially hazardous materials when walking pets in public areas. Dr. Megan McAndrew, WHS Medical Director, advises that you bring your pet to a veterinarian immediately if you notice signs of nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, rapid or difficult breathing, or pale, dark or blue gums within 12 hours after your pet may have eaten an unknown substance.

(These are a malleable beef flavored treats that one uses to envelope medicine for dogs and cats)