The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : A Tacoma, Washington, Police Dog Has Died After Ingesting Methamphetamine During A Narcotics Investigation

Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Tacoma, Washington, Police Dog Has Died After Ingesting Methamphetamine During A Narcotics Investigation

A police dog named Barney, has died after ingesting methamphetamine during a narcotics investigation, the Pierce County prosecutor's office said Thursday.

The 11-year-old Lab mix was with his handler, Officer Henry Betts, as he was serving a search warrant when he became sick. Barney had a body temperature of 109 and was having seizures when they took him to the BluePearl Veterinary Hospital on Tuesday night.

By Wednesday morning, he was becoming more alert and responsive, but passed away on Thursday.

Narcotics dogs usually signal when drugs are present, by placing their noses on the substance. But in this case, the drugs were unwrapped and Barney came in direct contact with the meth.

The search warrant did lead to the discovery of 44 pounds of meth and $225,000 in cash, prosecutors said. Three people have been charged with drug possession with two of them additionally charged with intent to sell.

Prosecutors haven't decided yet whether to amend the charges to include the death of the police dog.

/

No comments: