The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : A Woman Who Contracted an Extremely Rare Bacterial Infection Has Died Just Days After She Was Nipped by Her Puppy The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : A Woman Who Contracted an Extremely Rare Bacterial Infection Has Died Just Days After She Was Nipped by Her Puppy

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

A Woman Who Contracted an Extremely Rare Bacterial Infection Has Died Just Days After She Was Nipped by Her Puppy

A woman who contracted an extremely rare bacterial infection has died just days after she was nipped by her puppy.

Sharon Larson, 58, started experiencing flu like symptoms on June 20, the day after she received a minor cut to her hand from her puppy, Bo. The next day, she felt so weak that she couldn’t even hold a glass of water.


The Wisconsin grandmother was rushed to the emergency room where doctors told her husband, Daniel Larson, that her kidneys were failing.


Two days later, Ms Larson’s blood tested positive for capnocytophaga canimorsus, common bacteria found in the mouths of dogs and cats. Though the bacteria are common, it’s extremely rare for them to cause serious illness.


Doctors treated her with antibiotics, but she died the next afternoon.


Ms. Larson’s heartbroken family remember her as “amazingly kind” and caring.


“Her smile will live on through her five grandkids and a sixth on the way,” her adult daughter, Stacy Larson-Hruzek, told NBC.


Her death comes just weeks after another Wisconsin resident, Greg Manteufel contracted the same infection, ultimately leading to the amputation of parts of his arms and legs .


Despite their close proximity, experts have insisted their cases are not linked.






/