The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : Doctors Advise That Pets As Well As Humans Are at Risk of Mushroom Poisoning The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : Doctors Advise That Pets As Well As Humans Are at Risk of Mushroom Poisoning

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Doctors Advise That Pets As Well As Humans Are at Risk of Mushroom Poisoning

There are different types of mushrooms that can have varied effects on pets such as, depression, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, tearing, hallucinations, defecation, liver failure, seizures, drooling, urination, kidney failure, heart damage, hyperactivity and in some cases, death.

Amanita phalloides is the most commonly reported severely toxic species of mushroom in the US but other Amanita species are toxic.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) says, mushrooms are a very complex group of fungi. Certain species of mushrooms, such as the types you find in the grocery store, are considered to be nontoxic, while other wild species can be very toxic. Some have been known to cause liver and kidney damage, while others result in severe gastrointestinal and even neurological effects.

Because a toxic mushroom could be growing right alongside a nontoxic one, identifying what type the animal ingested can be tricky. Because of this, we advise that pet owners not allow their animals to ingest any wild mushrooms. And since we often cannot get a positive identification of the exact species involved, it is important to treat all wild mushroom ingestions very seriously.



/

No comments: