The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : After Dogs Die Eating Packaged Dog Bone Treats, Government Warns Dog Owners About Their Dangers

Saturday, December 2, 2017

After Dogs Die Eating Packaged Dog Bone Treats, Government Warns Dog Owners About Their Dangers

Our dogs are like our family members and if something ever happened to them we’d be devastated. That’s why the Food and Drug Administration is warning dog owners not to buy bone treats after 15 dogs died from them.

“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet,” Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian at the FDA, said according to Business Insider.

The Food and Drug Administration received reports about 15 deaths and 68 reports of dogs who became ill after consuming packaged dog bone treats.

“Veterinarians see many problems related to chewing and ingestion of bones by dogs of all sizes and breeds. Bones can be swallowed whole or they can crack and splinter, leading to choking, vomiting or blockages in the digestive tract,” Spokesperson for the American Veterinary Medical Association Michael San Filippo said. “In extreme cases, splintered bones can perforate a dog’s esophagus, stomach or intestines, which can be fatal without emergency intervention.”

To read more on this story, click here: After Dogs Die Eating Packaged Dog Bone Treats, Government Warns Dog Owners About Their Dangers



/

No comments: