The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : A Dog Was the Unwitting Victim of a Suspected Drug Dealer Who Threw Bags of Heroin Over a Fence: A Golden Retriever Named Charlie, Managed to Swallow One of the Bags

Monday, September 19, 2016

A Dog Was the Unwitting Victim of a Suspected Drug Dealer Who Threw Bags of Heroin Over a Fence: A Golden Retriever Named Charlie, Managed to Swallow One of the Bags

A golden retriever was the unwitting victim of a suspected drug dealer this week, when he tossed evidence away while running from police.

The problem? Said evidence were bags of heroin lobbed over the fence of Bark & Play, a Denver, CO, doggy daycare facility.

The suspect was caught soon after; police arrested Christian Manuel Ramirez, who is under investigation for the incident.

Garrett Bishop, who owns Bark & Play, told WHNT News 19 that about 17 bags were found in the yard, but workers didn’t know what was in them.

“Luckily, my employees are right on top of it and within 10 seconds of seeing a foreign object on the ground they were on it,” Bishop said. “They are the reason these dogs are safe.”

But there were 14 dogs in the yard at the time. And despite the staffers’ quick hands, a golden retriever named Charlie managed to swallow one of the bags. She was taken to the emergency room immediately.

Charlie’s owner, Laura, couldn’t believe it when she got the bad news from Bishop.

“My heart skipped a beat,” she said. “They said ‘Charlie ate a bag of heroin and she’s at the vet,’ and I thought, ‘You have to be kidding me, that’s ridiculous.”

“Her eyes were kind of clouded over, she didn’t have any energy. She looked really sick,” Laura said. “I don’t know how much heroin she ingested, or the potency of heroin, or the effects of heroin on dogs, so I was really worried that she could die.”

Charlie was treated with drugs to counteract the effects of the heroin.

“She was really drugged up, really out of it. But I was really happy she was alive,” Laura said. “[The heroin trade] affected my dog today but it could have been someone’s kid,” Laura said.


Charlie’s owner, Laura, said her heart skipped a beat when she heard the news about what her dog had ingested.

/

No comments: