The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : Xylitol, a Common Sweetener, Can Be Dangerous for Dogs: One-Year-Old Lab Ended Up in Hospital Fighting for Her Life

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Xylitol, a Common Sweetener, Can Be Dangerous for Dogs: One-Year-Old Lab Ended Up in Hospital Fighting for Her Life

Gilbert, Arizona  - Chances are, you've probably heard that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but did you know that Xylitol, a common sweetener, can be even more dangerous?

Jeni Hargrove Connor's family found out the hard way this February when their 1-year-old lab wound up in the animal hospital fighting for her life.



She made a video to let people know how toxic Xylitol can be to dogs. The video that has since gone viral.


Hargrove Connor said it all started with Dancer, snuck into her gym bag and ate an entire tub of Ice Breakers gum.


At first Hargrove Connor didn't think much of it, until about an hour later, when her husband noticed Dancer looked drunk. They called their vet who told them to immediately rush Dancer to the animal hospital.



As Dancer was laying on Jeni Hargrove Connor's daughters' laps, she had a horrible seizure that lasted about 90 seconds. They thought the worst...



Dancer made it through the seizure and animal hospital staff saved her. She had to spend two nights in the hospital, and her liver is still being monitored.


Moral of the story, Xylitol can be toxic to dogs. It is a sugar-free sweetener that can be common in gum, mints, toothpaste, vitamins, low-sugar peanut butter and other sugar-free food.

Please view the video below on Dancer's story and please share. Help us to get the word out on the dangers of xylitol and dogs. Sharing this may save a life!



You may be interested in reading:



Please Share!
/

No comments: