The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : Washington DC - Washington Humane Society - Poisoned Pill Pockets Unfounded

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Washington DC - Washington Humane Society - Poisoned Pill Pockets Unfounded

Washington, DC –On Thursday, June 27, 2013 the Washington Humane Society (WHS) was alerted to the claim that someone was alleged to be leaving poisoned dog treats in the Logan Circle area of Washington, DC.

“After a thorough investigation by our Humane Law Enforcement division, we cannot substantiate the claim that there is anyone out there intentionally attempting to harm pets,” Scott Giacoppo, WHS VP of External Affairs reports, adding, “Our investigation has revealed that one dog has been reported sick from the consumption of an unknown toxin. After a thorough investigation, which included outreach to every veterinary clinic in the District, we have received no evidence to indicate that this was intentional, happened in a public space or that there may be a threat to animal safety.”

Humane Law Enforcement Officers have been in contact with the owner of the dog who has gotten sick. Based on his limited cooperation, and the lack of direct evidence to support the claim, WHS has decided to close the investigation. Humane Law Enforcement will re-open the case if and when additional evidence is discovered.

WHS maintains that pet owners should always be cautious of potentially hazardous materials when walking pets in public areas. Dr. Megan McAndrew, WHS Medical Director, advises that you bring your pet to a veterinarian immediately if you notice signs of nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, rapid or difficult breathing, or pale, dark or blue gums within 12 hours after your pet may have eaten an unknown substance.


(These are a malleable beef flavored treats that one uses to envelope medicine for dogs and cats)

/

No comments: