The Pet Tree House - Where Pets Are Family Too : Dangerous Household Products That Can Hurt Your Dog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Dangerous Household Products That Can Hurt Your Dog

Do you know that the products that you use to clean your home can hurt your dog? Here are some tips on “Dog Proofing Your Home!”

Keep these items away from your dog:

Household Cleaners:
Ammonia, disinfectants, fabric softener and bleach. Keep chemicals and cleaners securely locked away.

Indoor Plants:
Mistletoe, marijuana, poinsetta, tobacco, cactus, dumb cane, and philodendron.

Outdoor Plants:
Azaleas, daffodils, horse chestnuts, tulips, wild mushrooms, rhubarb, and morning glories

Pesticides: Rat poisons, bug sprays

Personal Items:
Antidepressant and prescription drugs, hairspray and nail polish can also hurt your dog.

Insect control products, such as the insecticides used in many over-the-counter flea and tick remedies, may be toxic to animals.

Human medications such as pain killers, aspirin, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. Cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, anti-depressants, vitamins, and diet pills can all be toxic to animals. Always keep medication containers, and tubes of ointments and creams away from pets. If you drop a pill, make sure you find it immediately and dispose of it.

Holiday decorations and lights are beautiful, however they do pose a risk to cats and dogs.  Keep these items out of the reach of  pets.

Avoid using mothballs in the outdoor environment they are toxic to wildlife. Boric acid dust or solution is corrosive and toxic to pets, and commonly found in ant killer and cleaners.

When using fertilizer, as with lawn weed killer products, read manufacturer instructions carefully. Some granular and liquid sprays contain enough concentrated nutrients so that contact exposure can lead to paw irritation.

Though puppies are always chewing…keep household batteries away from them. Leaking batteries are a risk to any pet. Old batteries should be disposed of by recycling. Large batteries that spill are very dangerous as concentrated sulfuric acid can literally eat through the pads of a dog walking over the area. Small round button batteries like those in watches and cameras are sometimes swallowed, and usually pass through without harm.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), states that cigarettes contain nicotine. If a cat eats too much tobacco they can become ill. Symptoms include vomiting, agitation, diarrhea and increased breathing rate. The dog can experience weakness, muscle twitching, and could go into a  coma and possibly die.

Licking up antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid and gasoline can cause your dog to become ill. Antifreeze does not have much of an odor or foul taste and your cat is likely to lap it up without thinking. Some brands of antifreeze have gone so far as to use additives in their products to make them less attractive to animals. It only takes a small amount, less than a tablespoon, to be fatal to your dog because of liver damage. Be sure to keep your dog away when you are working with antifreeze and clean up any spills immediately and dispose of the clean-up rags properly

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), also states that the signs of ethylene glycol antifreeze poisoning really depend on the amount of time that has lapsed since ingestion. Approximately thirty minutes to an hour after ingesting antifreeze, grogginess, disorientation and lethargy may occur. The initial signs for ethylene glycol antifreeze may look like drunkenness. Vomiting, diarrhea and ultimately kidney failure will follow 12 to 24 hours later. Since there is a narrow window of opportunity for managing antifreeze poisoning before kidney damage occurs, it is critical to get your dog to a veterinarian for prompt treatment.

Do not let your dog drink from puddles. These products taste appealing to pets but most are lethal to animals when ingested. So thoroughly clean up any spills from your vehicle. Also, keep your pets far away from any suspect puddles.

Pencils:
For some reason pencils seem to be the perfect chewing toy for puppies and older dogs.  The Lead Education and Abatement Design Group (LEAD) is a not-for-profit community organization which develops and provides information and referrals on lead poisoning and lead contamination prevention and management. They state that, “Every source of information we've ever read says there is no lead in graphite pencils, except that one graphite pencil tested had 1.6% lead in the graphite".

The Friendship Animal Hospital  in Washington, DC, states that the following actions should be taken if you feel that your dog has eaten a pencil.

Pencil "lead" is actually graphite with traces of iron. Graphite is essentially non-toxic. So I would not be worried about poisoning from the pencil "lead". The wood pieces of the chewed up pencil, if ingested and sharp, could potentially cause severe intestinal problems.

Try to piece together the remains of the pencil and determine if your dog did actually swallow any of it. Perhaps he just chewed it into pieces and didn't actually ingest it. If you think the dog did ingest pieces, based on the pencil remains were they chewed to tiny bits or larger slivered pieces? You are trying to determine if the dog actually swallowed pieces of pencil and if so were they sharp pieces of wood that could get lodged in the intestines? If you think the dog ingested sharp pieces you should go to the vet for x-rays. Also, any change in normal bowel movement, straining, black tarry stool, blood in stool, or indications of belly pain indicates a serious problem and you should go to the vet immediately!

If you feel confident that pieces ingested were tiny "chewed well" pieces they will most likely pass through your dog's digestive system with no problems. You could feed a little canned pumpkin or a small amount of metamucel to increase bulk/fiber which will help ease things through.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested any of these products, or if it shows any signs of illness. Please take them immediately to the nearest veterinary hospital.

Never, ever give your dog chicken bones.

The experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center set the record straight. As the Premier Animal Poison Control Center in North America, they are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $65 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card.




/

No comments: